It doesn’t matter how famous you are, your parents are still going to send you sweet, embarrassing, and sometimes nonsensical text messages. No amount of money or fame can inoculate you from a guilt-ridden ellipses from your mom, or an unsolicited text from your dad about fixing the thermostat.
On top of the regular parental pressures, celebrities have the added weight of explaining away tabloid rumors and catching their parents up on all the various branches of their public facing career. Naturally, this gives mom and dad even more ways to troll their celebrity kids while expressing pride and support.
Since the internet is an endless gorgeous abyss full of text screenshots and celebrity social media gags, I have gathered 20 text exchanges between famous people and their parents.
1. Maisie Williams’ mom thirsting after Andrew Garfield.
love my mum so much lmao pic.twitter.com/6bgw4VldXd
— Maisie Williams (@Maisie_Williams) January 8, 2017
2. This shady text from Michelle Obama’s mom.
When your mom doesn’t think you’re a “real” celebrity…Tonight in Phoenix, I shared this text thread from my mom from #Grammys night, and I just had to share it with all of you. #TextsFromMom 😂
3. This meta exchange with Seth Rogen’s mom.
— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) March 16, 2019
4. Chrissy Teigen’s dad, with the ultimate dad text.
dad is thrilled! pic.twitter.com/n00AHqOVbz
— christine teigen (@chrissyteigen) July 12, 2018
5. Kate Beckinsale’s concern for her daughter.
The level of intrigue I am dealing with is actually too much for me
6. Zendaya’s mom with the adorable roast.
Thanks mom😂😂😂 @clairemaree64 pic.twitter.com/sNCrrbOikj
— Zendaya (@Zendaya) May 10, 2016
7. Hilary Duff refusing to share with her mom.
I won’t share the 3 dozen mini cupcakes that came to my door this morning mother. I won’t pic.twitter.com/UVQbRVhp62
— Hilary Duff (@HilaryDuff) September 28, 2016
8. Ariana Grande’s grandma getting ready to facetime.
— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) April 28, 2017
9. Noah Centineo narcing on himself to his mom.
Happy birthday to me pic.twitter.com/yBJjh0O63v
— Noah (@noahcent) May 9, 2017
10. Joey King and her mom discussing the intricacies of pasta.
Casually roasting my mom cuz I’m a bigger fan of pasta than her 💁♀️ pic.twitter.com/bVBdp51yjM
— Joey King (@JoeyKing) August 6, 2018
11. Poetry from Camila Cabello’s mom.
— camila (@Camila_Cabello) July 27, 2018
12. Mandy Moore’s parents roasting her acting.
Mom and Dad know how to keep it real. Thanks guys? 😂 #thisisus
13. Olivia Munn’s mom fact-checking the rumors.
Answering yes or no to personal questions can be tricky because if you say “No” it means whenever you say “No comment” that kind of becomes your default “Yes”. But since I’m doing press for the next few days, I didn’t want to have to answer the same question over and over. So instead, I’m going to let my text conversation with my Asian mom help me out.✌️#Colberto
14. This support from Emma Roberts’ mom.
Shout out to my mom who doesn’t have email, Twitter, Instagram, still uses a flip phone, and signs all her messages #T9soFine #LoveYou #Queen @ggrace_nickels
15. Kris Jenner sharing the family text chain.
Kendall’s texts are cut off at the top and Kylie is on a plane… but this is how fun and silly my family’s text chains are on a daily .. Sorry guys I had to 😂😂🎉#itjustgoesonandon
16. This wholesome exchange between Ariana Grande and her mom.
17. Miranda Cosgrove’s mom, keeping it real.
Texts from my Mom #thestruggleisreal
18. Reese Witherspoon’s mom being deeply wholesome.
Aww thanks Mom for all the words of encouragement. ❤️ Congrats to all the #GoldenGlobe winners last night! What a fun celebration of movies this year….and thank you to all the amazing fans who have supported #WILDmovie. 🙌
19. Zendaya’s mom laying on the guilt.
Why is my mother like this??😂😂😂@clairemaree64 pic.twitter.com/UdM6WLhegG
— Zendaya (@Zendaya) July 18, 2017
20. Solid advice from Grace Helbig’s mom.
My mom texted this to me & my brothers earlier today. What would normally be a cliche ‘mom text’ is now such a valuable human guideline. pic.twitter.com/jIgNaMhroK
— Grace Helbig (@gracehelbig) August 17, 2017
At the end of the day, we’re all just trying to explain Snapchat to our moms.