The FA Cup qualifying match between Haringey Borough and Yeovil was abandoned on Saturday after Haringey players walked off the pitch due to alleged racist abuse.
Haringey’s goalkeeper Valery Douglas Pajetat said afterwards that he was spat at and the victim of racist abuse.
The FA Cup tie was abandoned in the 64th minute with Yeovil 1-0 up, before the home side left the field of play.
“Sorry for the late update but wanted to make sure we gave correct information,” said a post on the official Haringey Borough Twitter account.
“Game has been abandoned following racial abuse. Horrendous afternoon. It must be said that 99.9 per cent of @YTFC fans are also disgusted by what’s happened as much as we are. One club, one community.”
Both sides returned to the pitch after the game had been abandoned to shake hands with each other and applaud the fans.
Stream every game of the 2019/20 Hyundai A-League season LIVE & On-Demand with Kayo Sports. Get your 14 day free trial & start streaming instantly>
Game abandoned due to racism
The Met Police have announced that they are investigating reports of racist comments made during the match. There have been no arrests but their enquiries are continuing.
The FA released a statement condemning the abuse at Coles Park, which said: “We are deeply concerned about the allegation of discrimination from an area of the crowd towards a player during the FA Cup fourth round qualifying match between Haringey Borough and Yeovil Town, which resulted in the fixture being abandoned.
“There is no room for discrimination in our game and we are working with the match officials and the relevant authorities, as a matter of urgency, to fully establish the facts and take the appropriate steps.”
Yeovil issued their own statement on Saturday evening, which read: “Yeovil Town FC will be co-operating with the authorities and our friends at Haringey Borough FC regarding events leading up to today’s fixture not being completed.
“We are aware that there are allegations that racist comments were made in the crowd and this allegation will be a key part of any investigation. Irrespective of the outcome of any investigations, we would like to make it clear that the club will not accept racism or discrimination in any form.
“The club will be making no further comment until the current investigations are completed.”
Haringey Borough manager Tom Loizou told Sky Sports News that it was his decision to bring his players off the pitch after he heard the abuse from the Yeovil supporters.
He said: “We played the game against Yeovil Town with not one problem, not one yellow card, not one red card.
“Early into the second half, we got a corner and a couple of the players said to me there was monkey chants. We got over that, we carried on playing. They got a penalty and my goalkeeper was spat at and had missiles thrown at him.
“The referee halted the game briefly, they scored the penalty, one of players went to pick the ball out of the back of the net and Coby Rowe was racially abused.
“We tried to calm the supporters down but more balls were thrown onto the pitch. The referee was a bit indecisive as to what to do.
“I looked at a couple of our players’ faces and I was distraught myself, just to see their faces. I gave it a couple of minutes and I went on the pitch and pulled my players off.
“There was no way that two or three of those players could have continued playing.
“We’ve worked very hard to reach this stage of the FA Cup and it’s been taken away from us this year. I can’t sit down and watch young players being abused by a minority.”
Rowe, who Loizou said was one of the players that was racially abused, took to Twitter to confirm his manager’s comments.
The tweet said: “Can’t believe I’m tweeting this and it’s 2019 but today I was a victim of racism in what was supposed to be a great day for @HaringeyBoroFC another game of football ruined by racists. Thanks to @YTFC players and staff who backed our decision to leave the pitch.”
This article was originally published by Sky Sports and reproduced with permission.