Immigration Minister Alex Hawke has used his ministerial powers to personally cancel Novak Djokovic’s visa, after the world number one men’s tennis player won a court case earlier this week against the cancellation of his entry visa.

Key points:

Mr Hawke said he had cancelled the visa this time on “health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so”.

“In making this decision I carefully considered information provided to me by the Department of Home Affairs, the Australian Border Force and Mr Djokovic,” he said.

“The Morrison Government is firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, particularly in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Mr Djokovic had applied for a medical exemption to enter Australia because he is unvaccinated. In his initial application, he argued he should be granted the exemption from vaccination because he had tested positive for COVID-19 in mid-December.

While he was granted the exemption by two different independent health panels — one engaged by Tennis Australia, the other by the Victorian government — upon his arrival in Melbourne late on January 5, he was detained by Australian Border Force officials.

Hours later he had his visa cancelled on the grounds that he did not meet the federal entry requirement of being double-vaccinated.

It is understood the tennis star’s legal team is considering the decision and Djokovic’s options. 

But the timing of the decision may make that difficult, given the tournament is due to begin in three days.

Mr Hawke had been considering whether to personally intervene since Monday, when Mr Djokovic won a reprieve in a court case that reversed the earlier decision to cancel his entry visa.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the decision was was a way of protecting the sacrifices Australians had made during the pandemic.

“This pandemic has been incredibly difficult for every Australian but we have stuck together and saved lives and livelihoods,” he said.

“Australians have made many sacrifices during this pandemic, and they rightly expect the result of those sacrifices to be protected.

“This is what the minister is doing in taking this action today.

“Our strong border protection policies have kept Australians safe, prior to COVID and now during the pandemic.”

Mr Morrison said he would not make any further statements given the “expected ongoing legal proceedings”.

If Mr Djokovic does not appeal the minister’s decision, he will be deported, and may be barred from being granted any future visa for the next three years, although this does not apply to all cases.

It is expected that he will be once again taken to immigration detention in Melbourne, but it is unclear yet when or if that has happened. 

Mr Hawke’s decision has also left a cloud of doubt over the Australian Open, which is set to begin next week in Melbourne.

The world number one men’s tennis player was included in yesterday’s Australian Open draw and was set to face fellow Serbian Miomir Kecmanovic in the first round of the tournament on Monday. 

Since his court win on Monday questions had also been raised about whether the 34-year-old lied on a border entry form about his travel in the two weeks before he arrived in Australia.

In a statement on Instagram he said his team filed the document and the mistake was a “human error”, and he had provided additional information to the government for the minister to consider.

Key dates in the Djokovic saga