Legendary comedian Bob Saget was pronounced dead on Sunday in Florida at 65-years-old.
“Earlier today, deputies were called to the Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes for a call about an unresponsive man in a hotel room,” the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement. “The man was identified as Robert Saget & pronounced deceased on scene. Detectives found no signs of foul play or drug use in this case.”
Saget was in Jacksonville doing a show on Saturday night and tweeted a shout out to fans during the early morning hours on Sunday.
“Loved tonight’s show @PV_ConcertHall in Jacksonville. Appreciative audience,” Saget tweeted. “Thanks again to @RealTimWilkins for opening. I had no idea I did a 2 hr set tonight. I’m happily addicted again to this shit. Check BobSaget.com for my dates in 2022.”
Loved tonight’s show @PV_ConcertHall in Jacksonville. Appreciative audience. Thanks again to @RealTimWilkins for opening. I had no idea I did a 2 hr set tonight. I’m happily addicted again to this shit. Check https://t.co/nqJyTiiezU for my dates in 2022. pic.twitter.com/pEgFuXxLd3
— bob saget (@bobsaget) January 9, 2022
TMZ, which was the first to report the news, highlighted Saget’s career:
Saget played the patriarch on the hit ABC sitcom for almost 10 years, landing the lead star role in 1987 and finishing out its first iteration in ’95 — opposite stars John Stamos, Dave Coulier, of course … not to mention his TV daughters, Candace Cameron, Jodie Sweetin as well as Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, who swapped the duties of portraying Michelle.
In addition to his stand-up and ‘Full House’ fame … Saget will also be remembered as a fan fave on “America’s Funniest Home Videos,” of which he served as host from ’89 to ’97, running concurrently with his time/tone on ‘FH.’ Speaking of Mr. Tanner … he reprised his role for Netflix’s reboot of the franchise, “Fuller House,” which ran for 4 years and ended in 2020.
Bob’s other notable acting credits include … a recurring role on ‘Entourage,’ in which he played a zany version of himself, the narrator’s voice of ‘How I Met Your Mother,’ another sitcom he starred in called ‘Raising Dad,’ one of the penguins in “Farce of the Penguins,” the lead in “Surviving Suburbia,” and a standout cameo in ‘Half Baked’ as a recovering crack head … among many, many other appearances on film and television over the years.
Initial notable reactions to Saget’s death included:
- Comedy Central: “Bob Saget was a beloved and boundary-pushing comedian. He’ll be missed.”
- B.J. Novak, actor: “I have always and will always love Bob Saget.”
- Jon Stewart, comedian: “Bob Saget… Just the funniest and nicest…”
- Josh Gad, actor: “There wasn’t a kinder person in Hollywood than Bob Saget. I am having trouble wrapping my head around this. I do not want to believe this. It’s all too much to handle.”
- Stephen L. Miller, political commentator: “Bob Saget empowered idiots all over America to film and injure themselves, and for that he will always have a place in my heart.”
- Kristy Swanson, actress: “Heartbroken to hear the news. Rest In Peace and Love Bob Saget.”
- Whoopi Goldberg: “Sail on my friend Bob Saget With your huge heart and abject lunacy, my condolences to his daughters & other family.”
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.