An 80-year-old Australian man has died from COVID-19 in Queensland — the first death to be recorded in the state this year.
He was a returned traveller who had been living in the Philippines.
The man was diagnosed in hotel quarantine and admitted to Prince Charles Hospital on March 25. He died late yesterday.
Queensland COVID-19 snapshot:
Queensland’s Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young said the man acquired the virus in the Philippines despite transiting through Papua New Guinea.
It’s the seventh death of a person to be diagnosed with the virus in Queensland.
Former Papua New Guinea Eastern Highlands governor Malcolm Smith died from the virus last week, after he was diagnosed in Papua New Guinea.
Dr Young said the 80-year-old tested positive on day five in hotel quarantine.
She said everyone who had arrived on the same flight had gone into 14-day hotel quarantine so there is no risk to anyone in the community.
“This is another reminder that this is a deadly virus, and we still see thousands of people around the world on a daily basis dying from COVID,” Health Minister Yvette D’Ath said.
Dr Young said it was important people continued to get tested if they developed any symptoms.
“No matter whether you think you’re at risk or not of COVID, because we never know how it might get back into our community,” she said.
“Just come forward for your own peace of mind and get tested as soon as possible.”
Queensland recorded two new cases of COVID-19 overnight, both acquired overseas and in hotel quarantine.