Mauricio Pochettino accepts Tottenham Hotspur could sack him over poor form
Tottenham Hotspur have appealed the red card shown to striker Son Heung-min for the tackle that led to Everton midfielder Andre Gomes suffering a horrific ankle injury in their Premier League match on Sunday, British media have reported.
Gomes suffered a fracture dislocation to his right ankle in the second half of the 1-1 draw at Goodison Park after landing off balance at speed after the tackle from Son and then colliding with Spurs full-back Serge Aurier.
Portugal international Gomes had surgery on Monday and Everton said afterwards he was expected to make a full recovery.
Referee Martin Atkinson showed Son a red card for his tackle on Gomes and the Premier League said after the match that he had been dismissed for “endangering the safety of a player”.
Both the BBC and the Guardian reported that Spurs had appealed to the Football Association asking for the red card to be rescinded.
South Korea international Son, who was in tears in the dressing room after the match, will be banned for Tottenham’s next three Premier League matches against Sheffield United, West Ham and Bournemouth if the appeal is unsuccessful.
Gomes expected to make full recovery
Everton midfielder Andre Gomes is expected to make a full recovery after undergoing successful ankle surgery on Monday, the Premier League club said.
The Portugal international sustained the right ankle injury in the 1-1 draw at Goodison Park on Sunday after landing off balance at speed following a tackle from Tottenham Hotspur forward Son Heung-min.
“Andre Gomes underwent surgery to repair a fracture dislocation to his right ankle earlier today and the procedure went extremely well,” Everton said on their website (www.evertonfc.com).
“The 26-year-old is expected to make a full recovery.”
Everton gave no time frame but said Gomes would recover in hospital before starting rehabilitation under the guidance of the club’s medical staff.
Everton manager Marco Silva had said earlier that the club would give Gomes and his family all the support they needed.
“He is seriously injured but I am 100% sure Andre will become stronger as a football player and as a man because he is a fantastic lad, a fantastic professional,” he added.
Son was shown a red card for his part in the incident and was in tears in the dressing room afterwards.
On Monday, the 27-year-old was called up to the South Korea squad for two matches later this month and national team coach Paulo Bento said his international team mates would rally around him.
“What happened in that match is really unfortunate,” Bento told Yonhap News Agency. “It doesn’t matter which country a player is from. You never want to see anyone get hurt that seriously, but it’s also part of the game.
“Heung-min has to pick things up and move forward, and we’ll try to help him the best we can.”