Victoria has recorded three new coronavirus cases which the State Government says are being treated as locally acquired and linked to the Sydney outbreak.

A spokeswoman for the State Government said the cases were from Mentone, Hallam and Mitcham and were not in hotel quarantine.

The Government spokeswoman said the three people would be retested.

The cases and all close contacts have been told to self-isolate.

Victorian authorities expect to release a list of potential exposure sites soon.

The new cases bring to an end Victoria’s two-month COVID-free streak of locally acquired cases.

Victoria to further restrict border with NSW

The Victorian Government has this evening added further restrictions for people travelling to Victoria from Wollongong and the Blue Mountains regions.

The Government said travellers who had visited either region from December 27 would have until midnight on New Year’s Eve to enter Victoria.

Travellers would need to apply for a new permit, be tested within 24 hours of returning to Victoria and self-quarantine at home for 14 days from when they left the Wollongong or Blue Mountains region.

Travellers from those regions would not be able to enter Victoria from January 1, the Government said.

The Victorian Government is also asking anyone in Victoria who has been in Wollongong or the Blue Mountains since December 27 to get tested and stay at home until they have their result.

Victoria has already closed its border to travellers from the Northern Beaches area of Sydney, Greater Sydney and the NSW Central Coast.

The Victorian Government said the new restrictions had been introduced in response to 18 new cases of COVID-19 being reported in NSW, including six from a new cluster in the Sydney’s inner west.